Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 288-8G@311-90 Horns

  1. #1
    Inactive Member chris haberland's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2003
    Posts
    22
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have now purchased the 288-8G drivers and the some what rare 311-90 horns.Thanks for helping me make that decision thus far.I would now like to match these horns up to the finest woofers i can get.Dont know if i should buy new or stay with Altec stuff.Can i build a two way with this horn or do i need tweets.The spec on this horn say that it is fairly flat to 16000.I am getting old,so i dont think i can here higher than that.Thanks for your replie,Chris.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member David Yost's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I say....stay Altec all the way! Go with 416-8Bs in Onken or Model 19 cabs and you will not go wrong. With the 288-G/311-90 combo, cross at 300 Hz or above, 6 dB/octave if you are going low power. If you need high spls, cross higher or use a steeper slope...the 416-B is good to aprox. 1500/2000 Hz IME.

    Good find and good luck,
    David

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have 311 horns and love them. Regardless of what woofers you go with, I would suggest you bi amp with a quality active crossover to get the full benefit from your 311's. I have a 12 db crossover set at 550 hz. I use an 828 cabinet for my woofers. I am still experimenting with different woofers trying to find the best one for me.

    I added tweeters to my system once and had a hard time telling if they were working or not because of my hearing (the lack of it, that is!) In the end I went with just the 311's in a simple two way system. I think you will find they are quite adequate without any tweeters.

    Best Wishes.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Russellc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Contact Great plaines Audio see what he can put together for you. Last time I talked with him, he could put together 515-8G, I don't know if others are available? Would be worth the time to ask,and they would be brand new.

    Have fun
    Russellc

  5. #5
    Inactive Member AllanCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I'd get (4) 411-8A woofers and build some 9848's.

    They will work fine with aluminum diaphragms in the 288's as a 2-way system. forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.